Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Looks Like There's Some Kinda FYER!

Somehow, I’ve always managed to find myself in situations that I’ve always thought were beyond my reach, usually financially.  I think to myself  “Oh, there’s no way I can afford that!” and suddenly, I can afford it.  I also have this way of just pretending things are going to work out and then somehow, they do.  It’s almost like that book  The Secret, where you visualize, and then it happens.  Only, it’s not so much visualizing something’s going to happen, it’s me just assuming it will.  And somehow…

So when I wake up in Belgium on that Tuesday, August 17 (at 2:00 in the afternoon!), the only way I can describe the way I feel is: lucky.  I feel so lucky to be here despite all the obstacles and so lucky to have been accepted to Bath Spa and so lucky to have all the friends and family I do and so lucky to have my Wesley (who miraculously put up with me through 18 hours of traveling).  I feel like such a jerk for somehow getting to where I am, where others struggle their `entire lives just to put food on the table.

Nevertheless, I find a way to enjoy myself in the cute little country of Belgium.  After waking up and having some of Wesley’s favorite cereal, his mom drives us to town to get a few things and also to get Wesley a haircut and glasses.  I find Belgium so adorable, with all it’s little cars and the fabulous old buildings.  Everyone there is so nice, even when the find out I don’t speak Flemish, they just smile at me and speak in English with a very sweet Flemish accent.  I tag along behind Wesley and his mother, taking in all that I can and, again, I feel so insanely lucky.

My favorite moment, though, will have to be when Wesley, his mom and I are driving to the grocery store when we see a fire truck (and a very interesting one at that) parked outside and a few firemen wrapping up a hose.  Instinctively Wesley and I both go “IT LOOKS LIKE THERE’S SOME KINDA FYER!” and laugh.

Wesley’s mom, who the reference is lost to (and if it’s still lost to you, you seriously need to see the video called ’My push up bra will help me get my man’ on youtube, it’s hilarious) goes, “Do you think we can still go in?” Which only induces more laughter from me, because the grocery store is clearly unharmed.

But for now, my time in Belgium is short, because soon we will be off to Portugal, where I’m sure there are more adventures to come (because I can finally legally drink now that I’m in Europe).

These are, really, such foreign places.

2 comments: